With the London Summer Olympics officially beginning July 27, we’ve seen Olympians everywhere. This year, the Olympics are expected to be bigger and better than ever. With new technologies and increased Internet use since the last Olympics, marketing professionals have been calling 2012 the year of the “Social Olympics.”
- Britain had to assemble “brand police” to combat advertisers’ attempts at free air time.
- The first “Social Olympics” expects to see record-breaking Twitter and Facebook numbers.
- Sponsors like Coke are using their Olympics ads to associate their brand with other values, like healthy lifestyles.
- NBC’s “Live Extra” app will stream all Olympic events, allowing users access to more than 3,000 hours of Olympic sports.
- Nike was fined for sponsoring Olympians’ tweets without fully disclosing their partnerships.
Thanks for reading. Go Team USA!