We’re thrilled to announce we were named one of the 2017 Best Places to Work in Madison by Madison Magazine!
We’re especially grateful because this honor comes as a result of the good words spoken about Pilch & Barnet by our own employees! We value the people who choose to share their time and talents with us and do our best to treat them well. We know that the respect and appreciation we show them reflects in the great work they do for our clients.
If you’re interested in seeing what Pilch & Barnet can do for you, call us today!
For tens of millions of users around the world, the augmented reality app Pokémon Go is a fun way to pass the time. But for local businesses and tourism officials, the craze is full of potential.
While it’s true you never know when a Pokémon might show up, the creatures are regularly found around landmarks, historical buildings and other places where visitors might patronize, like zoos, golf courses and museums. So it’s no surprise that local businesses and attractions are hoping to cash in on the craze.
Businesses near Pokestops are putting up signs touting their proximity to these virtual convenience stores where you can load up on free items like Pokeballs, potions, eggs and other items to help you on your journey. Some are even offering discounts for players in hopes of drawing them in for a tasty meal and a cool drink. Others are offering up their outlets and branding themselves as charging stations, since the app is notorious for draining batteries. Some have gone as far as spending real dollars to purchase “lures” that temporarily attract more Pokémon (and hopefully patrons) to their establishments.
Tourism expert Susanne Thiede-Barnet, co-principal of the Madison destination marketing firm Pilch & Barnet says for local businesses, this is an easy and affordable way to connect with potential customers. “Players are out wandering about and they’re encountering businesses they’ve never visited. Putting out a welcoming sign or offering a small discount costs virtually nothing, but to a hungry player looking for a place to take a break, that hospitality is going to result in a sale,” Thiede-Barnet said. “And when the game hype dies down, what remains is folks who’ve had a positive experience with a new local business are willing to come back again.”
Beyond the profit potential, Thiede-Barnet says local attractions are appreciating the breath of fresh air too. “People are visiting parks, hiking on trails that perhaps they’ve never thought to explore. They’re taking time to read historical marker signs and learn about their neighborhoods,” Thiede-Barnet noted. “People are realizing and remembering all these beautiful and interesting places right under their noses and that goes a long way in helping them feel invested in their communities.”
For businesses looking to hop on the marketing Poketrain, Thiede-Barnet has a few lost-cost suggestions:
- Tout on social media that your business is Pokémon Go-friendly. Talk about any discounts you’re offering and which characters have been found nearby.
- If you’re near a Pokestop or Pokémon gym, put a sign up making note of it and welcoming trainers.
- For $1, you can purchase a 30-minute “lure” that attracts Pokémon to your area. Give your social media followers a heads-up and watch the potential customers roll in.
Winter is almost here, so it’s time to start thinking about traveling during this chilly season.
- Want to go on a global adventure? Here are some of the most exciting, colorful adventures Earth has to offer this winter.
- No passport? No problem. There’s plenty of amazing cities to see right here in the good old U.S. of A. this winter.
- If a road trip is more your style, strap on the snow chains and get ready for a wintery (and breathtaking) adventure.
- Before you hit the highway, make sure you’re prepared with these road trip must-have apps.
- No plans for a winter getaway this year? Enjoy these stunning photos from around the world from the comfort of your couch.
Ready to turn up the notch on your Facebook ads? It’s time to try out the Facebook Power Editor. Though the “powerful” name may sound intimidating, it really isn’t. We’ve outlined the basics for using this cool new tool.
- The Power Editor helps you improve efficiency in creating, editing and managing a large number of campaigns and ads.
- Here are 5 big reasons to use the editor, including better Facebook ad image management, bulk import and advanced targeting capabilities
- It allows you to do some impressive things you can’t do using the basic ad manager.
- You can easily download the Power Editor from the Facebook Ads Manager page. Time to get started!