Old Man Winter finally showed up here in Madison this week. Apparently, he was cranky from having to wait so long, so he made it extra snowy/windy/blah-y and reminded us Wisconsinites of the downside of winter. At least it looks and feels like January out there now; I was getting a little weirded out by 50-degree days.
Winter rant over. Time to move on to our favorite things from the last week.
- eMarketer asks if social media postings always require a response from the brand. If you don’t want fans—those who ask questions and those who might just see the questions—to think you’re unresponsive, the answer is most definitely yes.
- Speaking of social media, do you want that little blue “verified account” check mark next to your name on Twitter? Turns out you need to spend $15,000. Either that, or get your account hacked.
- For our world travelers out there, The New York Times has put together its list of the 45 places to go in 2012. As a Finlander, it’s nice to see my forebears’ homeland occupy the second spot on the list.
- In other national publication list news, National Geographic’s Traveler magazine has put together a slideshow of winners for its 2011 photo contest. I loooooove the Crater Lake one that took first place.
- And finally, here’s something that sounds good to me on a bitterly cold January afternoon: It might be a good idea to give your employees unlimited vacation time.
Have a great weekend, and enjoy the snow and cold (yeah, right), fellow Wisconsinites!