We’ve talked about adventure travel, wellness travel, senior travel and solo travel. Today, medical travel.
- What exactly is medical tourism? Here’s the low-down.
- Countries outside the U.S. have been benefitting from medical tourism for years. In fact, at one private hospital in Spain, 25% of the patients are medical tourists. Now India is building luxe hospitals just to cater to this segment of travelers.
- Based on rankings for cost, destination attractiveness, safety and quality, Canada, the U.K., Israel, Singapore and Costa Rica are the top spots for medical tourism.
- The U.S. is getting in on the gig too. In Houston, high-end rentals are being built next to the Texas Medical Centre to give medical tourists a classy place to recover. In Florida, the state legislature even allocated $5 million to medical tourism, with half reserved for grants to promote the state as a patient destination.
- Cosmetic procedures, fertility treatments and obesity surgeries are among the most popular for medical tourists. Mostly because many aren’t covered by insurance in the U.S., and the cost is substantially lower in other countries.
- But before you go trying to save a buck on a medical procedure by traveling to a different country, read up on the risks.