You may have noticed hashtags floating around the Facebook-sphere this past summer. Here’s what’s going on.
- An idea borrowed from Twitter, Facebook hashtags are meant to help people find trending topics and encourage them to engage in a larger public debate. That is, a larger debate on Facebook – the platform launched clickable hashtags in hopes of increasing user engagement on the site.
- So how exactly do they work? Here’s the lowdown on Facebook hashtags.
- There are 4 ways marketers can use Facebook hashtags: to expand your reach, amplify your brand, cross social platforms and promote specials and events.
- These big brands are using hashtags on Facebook, and you can too!
- But since the launch in June 2013, there’s been some debate about the effectiveness of the Facebook hashtag. The consensus by many is that hashtags are not driving additional engagement.
- However, some say it’s too early to declare Facebook hashtags a failure.
What do you think? We recommend at least trying them out for now. It’s only a matter of time before we can truly determine the fate of the Facebook hashtag. Happy Friday!