Here at Pilch & Barnet, we know destination marketing. So we love seeing innovative, fun and successful tourism campaigns from around the world, and we thought you might too.
- A perennial award-winner we love is Pure Michigan. You never even knew you wanted to go to Michigan, but as soon as you see their ads, you’re sold. Go get lost in their YouTube channel. Daydream away on their Facebook page. These guys are doing it right.
- Tahiti Tourism totally gets what Instagram is all about. In 2013, more than 17,000 Instagrammers liked what they have going on.
- With an account that’s frequently updated, fun and most importantly, helpful to its customers, Virgin Atlantic Airlines has Twitter on lockdown.
- Part gorgeous photos, part cute animals, part helpful links to videos and articles, it’s no accident that See Australia’s Pinterest account has more than 5,000 followers.
We’ve talked a lot about up and coming travel trends on Link Friday. Now it’s time to have a little fun and explore some of the more obscure ones.
- How about this one? “You kill it, we cook it.” Some hotels are offering this service for travelers who want to do some hunting or fishing while they’re away from home. Prices may vary.
- Tiny foodies mustn’t have to compromise while they’re on vacation with mom and dad! That’s why some upscale hotels are now offering gourmet, organic, made-to-order baby foods.
- Have you heard of the “pack it, wear it, leave it” travel trend? Pop some tags at your thrift store back home, wear the clothes on your next travel adventure, then leave them behind for the next person!
- If babies can be catered to on vacation, why not fur-babies? Check out these kennels you might mistake for hotels and some five-star resorts ready to pamper your pet.
For parents, back-to-school time could very well be the most wonderful time of the year. Turns out it’s pretty awesome for travelers too.
Travelers are wising up to the magic that is the shoulder season.
- The what season? Definition here.
- What’s so great about it? Click to find out.
- Check out these shoulder season travel planning tips and don’t-miss-destinations.
- If you’re in the tourism business, here’s some helpful advice for attracting shoulder season tourists (the article is about vacation home rentals, but it easily applies to most lodging).
We often think of travelers as couples or families, but there’s a trend building for solo travelers too.
Nothing says summer quite like a road trip. Buckle up.
- Check out these 10 road trips you should add to your bucket list.
- Here’s a list of road trippers’ favorite routes. (Click around for more random road trip stats than you could ever dream of)
- Thinking about an RV road trip? This article is jam packed with helpful tips for your maiden voyage.
- It’s summer. That means road construction and traffic jams. Check out this site to help you avoid tearing your hair out while you’re behind the wheel.
With mobile traffic currently comprising more than half of all Internet usage, many businesses are left wondering, “Do we need an app?” Here are some links to help you make the call.
- Needing (or not needing) an app mostly depends on your business.
- Wondering just how popular apps are? Here’s a stat-packed infographic.
- The alternative to an app is creating a responsive website (Psst! You should do this even if you have an app). See if this step is enough for your business.
- Whether you opt for a responsive site or an app, one thing is for sure. You simply must have a mobile marketing strategy. Here are some basic principles to remember as you get started.
If you have a website, you need to pay attention to Google Analytics.
We’re one week from the Fourth of July! So far it’s shaping up to be a winner for travel.
- According to AAA, this year’s Fourth of July travel is expected to grow 2% from 2013.
- That’s in spite of the fact that gas and hotel prices are up too. It seems folks are getting more confident in the economy and are more willing to lay down the credit card.
- Behold, the 13 best places to celebrate the Fourth of July. Places that include lumberjack shows, Willie Nelson picnics and monster trucks.
- Did you know the Fourth of July happens to be a great opportunity for marketers? Use the holiday as a great hook for promoting your latest sale, product or contest!
Senior citizens often have extra time and extra money to spend. Is your destination senior-friendly?
- With the number of senior citizens growing worldwide, marketing to this age demo just makes sense. But be sure you’re ready to handle this crowd – they demand impeccable service.
- Here’s a look at what seniors are looking for when they plan their vacations. Applicable info on slide 12.
- China is taking note of the rise of seniors traveling. Are you?
- If you want to attract seniors, you need to consider improving your motorcoach offerings. Here’s some advice.