Hashtags are hot right now. They can be both extremely useful and extremely annoying, so be cautious.
- New to hashtags? Here’s what you need to know and why they’re an important part of social media.
- A new study shows using more than two hashtags in your Facebook updates significantly reduces engagement. Keep it simple.
- Remember, keep your hashtags online. Don’t include them in your speech. Ever. See this video of Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake to illustrate the point.
- There’s been some gossip that Twitter may do away with hashtags altogether down the road. Keep an eye on it, but for now, use them to create a central place for folks to see and discuss your topics.
Easter’s almost here. This means we can really call it spring now, right?
- A still tenuous economy has many predicting a drop in the spending associated with Easter this year.
- Forget the dye and vinegar. Color Easter eggs like a boss.
- The eggs you hunt in your backyard aren’t the only kind worth looking for! Uncovering the virtual kind buried in websites can be just as rewarding. Check out these cool ones on YouTube.
- Candy is a big deal at Easter. These recipes include your favorite sweet treats, but for a 21 and over crowd.
There are changes coming to your Facebook business pages (again). Here’s the low-down.
- There are three big changes. Your timeline is going to look different, you’ll see important info about your ads/likes/reach without having to click away from the timeline and you’ll be able to size up your competitors at a glance. Here’s the official announcement from Facebook.
- Originally, the plan was to hide your page’s tabs (apps) under the “More” section, but after an outcry from marketers, they’ll appear there and along the left side of the newsfeed. Remember, tabs have never been visible on mobile, so this is only a change for desktop users.
- No change comes without questions, so here are the top 5 (with answers from Facebook) about the upcoming modifications.
- If you want to see the changes in action, visit the Facebook for Business page. It’s live there.
- Remember in the new design, your page name and some drop-down buttons will appear over your cover photo, so keep this in mind when you select or build your image (No link in this one, just a heads-up!).
Technically, spring is here. And if you’re anything like me, it’s time to start thinking about a vacation to a place that is spring in practice as well as in theory.
- Spring is a great time to travel because rates are generally lower than during the summer. For example, rooms in places like Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle are down between 13-20% at this time of year and in some international destinations, like Turkey, they’ve dropped almost 30%.
- There’s a new travel trend taking hold this spring: hobby travel. Vacations dedicated to exploring your favorite books and authors, wine tasting, scientific research, religion – you get the idea.
- In case you haven’t grasped the power of photography in travel marketing, check out these gorgeous photo albums of spring around the world.
- In the mood for a road trip this spring? RV sales and rentals are on the rise.
Thoughtful and creative, this expert coder builds websites, e-newsletters and banner ads that intrigue and ignite. Mr. Jorgenson’s greatest strength is his razor sharp analytic reasoning. Combine that with his considerable design abilities and you have one formidable Web developer.
Mr. Bohman is a herder of projects, people and problems: he ensures projects are completed, people are kept happy and problems are few and far between. His confidence inspires great work in everyone around him, and his competence keeps everything running smoothly.
March Madness is upon us!
- Addicted to the madness? There are five awesome apps to keep you in the loop.
- Desk job getting in the way of March Madness? Check out Bud Light’s very clever “Digital March Madness Toolkit” which will replace regular banner ads with score and time updates from the games, sidebars with tourney tweets and gives you an official looking spreadsheet to have up on your monitor that’s actually real-time game updates.
- Any doubts that March Madness is big business? Check out this infographic.
- Did you hear Warren Buffett’s offering up $1 billion to the person who picks the perfect bracket? Click here to find out what your odds are (pssst! They’re not good.).
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner!
- In a clever move using St. Patrick’s Day as the hook, the Irish national tourism authority created this compelling video to educate the world about Ireland and inspire folks to visit.
- If you’re in the mood for a last minute getaway, here are the five best cities to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
- Check out these easy ways to utilize the holiday in your social media marketing.
- If you can’t make it to NYC to watch the country’s oldest St. Patrick’s Day parade in person, you can catch it online! A great example the power of live web events to draw in customers (or in the case of tourism, travelers).
Although it doesn’t feel much like spring here in Wisconsin, spring break for students is coming up fast!
- Still looking to book a trip? Here are the top 10 family destinations (included on the list is our home state’s own Wisconsin Dells!).
- Share these helpful spring break social media dos and don’ts with your college-aged spring breaker.
- Know a student looking for a more socially responsible vacation? Try these alternative spring breaks focused on helping others while still getting the chance to travel.
- Too busy at work for a spring break? The U.S. Travel Association says you need to take your vacation days. Not doing so costs the U.S. economy $160 in spending (and not just in the travel industry!).
- If you still need more convincing, check out this article about why vacations are good for your health and mental well-being (and if necessary, forward it to your boss!).
Fat Tuesday is just a few days away!
- The history of Mardi Gras is a long (since 1699!) and interesting one, filled with all kinds of traditions. Learn about them here.
- Mardi Gras and Carnival are a visual feast. Check out some really stunning images from the History Channel here.
- If you happen to actually be attending Mardi Gras, sharing your experiences with your friends on social media is totally acceptable. Find out what’s not in this article about Mardi Gras social media etiquette.
- Can’t make it to the Big Easy for Fat Tuesday this year? Celebrate at home with these great recipes for Mardi Gras appetizers, meals and desserts!