Today’s consumers are bombarded with advertising everywhere they look, especially on social media. Paid advertising has taken over newsfeeds on nearly every social platform. While paid posts are necessary to increase web traffic and sales, brands must also maintain social pages with appealing organic content to build real relationships with potential customers.
One of the biggest challenges brands face on social media today is reaching audiences with organic content. While it’s critical to run paid posts, brands can benefit from developing strong organic posts. However, they can’t simply share information about their products or services to capture the attention of their audience. Even though someone follows the brand, they might not want to see posts about the brand on their timeline every day. This means brands should think about sharing information that serves their audience. For example, a vegan clothing brand profits from selling t-shirts, but it keeps its followers engaged by not only sharing photos of the shirts, but also sharing vegan recipes and lifestyle content. Diversifying the types of information included in posts keeps followers interested and engaged and strengthens brand identities.
Brands can form strong ties with followers and create customers by talking to them online. Whether it’s helping solve a customer’s problem via Facebook or directing someone to a website, small interactions can go a long way. Brands can start dialogue and increase engagement on their posts by posing questions to their followers. They can also utilize poll features to ask questions and get their followers thinking about the brand or topics related to their products. Organic posts that receive likes and comments tend to receive favor from algorithms, so the more people that are interacting with a post, the more people who will see it. Brands should make an effort to start conversations to create positive impressions and increase awareness through customer interaction.
In a world of curated, calculated messaging everywhere we look, social media users (especially young ones) have become more critical of advertising. Brands can combat the anti-advertising stigma by creating content, both organic and paid, that doesn’t use a “sales-y” voice. Many brands have chosen to post from their social media accounts as if the brand is an individual person. When taking on this voice, they’re able to act more personable and approachable, and they’re more easily able to start conversations with followers. They also enact the 80/20 rule, which means that only 20 percent of the content they share relates to products and promotions, while the other 80 percent is dedicated to sharing curated content, entertainment and useful information with followers.